<$BlogRSDURL$>

Sunday, July 18, 2004

LZ GETS RELIGION
 
"I'd like some wine," LZ said.
 
"We have a some Yellowtail left, and a bottle of Clos Du Bois. Which should we drink first?" I asked.
 
"Let's finish the Yellowtail, then open the new bottle," LZ said.
 
"That's just how Jesus would have done it," I said.  "Of course, he was going against conventional wisdom as well."
 
LZ just stared at me.
 
"WWJD," I said.  "What would Jesus drink? It's a big deal with a lot of people."
 
I could see that was going nowhere, so, as a gambit, I decided to tell the truth.
 
"I meant," I said. " from the wedding feast at Cana. In the Bible.  Jesus and his mom are at a wedding and they run out of wine.  So his mom gives Jesus a nod and a wink, so he knows what to do. At first Jesus doesn't want to do it, he wanted to save his first miracle for something more than a party trick, but he also knows his mom wants more wine, so what can he do?  He changes a big bunch of jugs of water into wine and saves the wedding.
 
"The punch line is that the guy running the wedding, I guess an employee of the banquet hall, calls the bridegroom aside and gives him a quick lecture on how to run a party, telling him, and I quote:  
 
Everyone brings out the choice wine first and then the cheaper wine after the quests have had too much to drink; but you have saved the best till now.
 
"Is that really in the Bible?" LZ asked.
 
"Speaking of drinking, did I ever tell you about my great grandfather and The Miracle of the Rubbing Alcohol?" I asked.
 
"If you don't get us some wine soon...." said LZ.
 
"How about I pour you one glass of each and we have a little taste test?" I asked.
 
LZ  shot me a look. 
 
"Ok,"  I said.  "Never mind. I'll just get a glass at a time."
 
"Praise Jesus," LZ said. 
 
"Just one more thing,"  I said.  "I'm sorry, but I won't be able to tell you about my great grandfather after all.  I'm sending him over to the character place. That's where he really belongs.  You can read about him over there in a day or two."
 
"Are you sure this is the Yellowtail?" LZ asked.   
 
"I swear on a stack of Bibles," I said.
    
  
  
  
  
  
   
  
  
  
 









Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?