<$BlogRSDURL$>

Monday, August 02, 2004

JURVOZ THROWS A WINGDING

"So, you're having a cookout over the holiday weekend," Jurvoz said.

"Word gets around, I guess," I said.

"I was talking to Fish. He told me."

"Remind me to thank him," I said.

"Are you having sausage?" Jurvoz asked.

"Yes, probably," I said. "I was thinking burgers, dogs, chicken, sausage, the usual cookout stuff."

"Where are you getting the rolls?" Jurvoz asked.

"I haven't thought it out that far yet," I said.

"For burgers and dogs, the rolls don't matter," Jurvoz said. "I don't really eat burgers and dogs. But for sausage, you've got to get your rolls from Bronzini's Bakery."

"They are good," I said. "But that's all the way up in Little Calabria."

"I'll pick them up for you," Jurvoz said. "How many do you want?"

"Two dozen should be good," I said.

"Only two dozen?" Jurvoz asked.

"It's a cookout, not a sausage party," I said.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Who was on the phone?" LZ asked.

"Jurvoz," I said. "He's invited himself and two dozen rolls to the cookout."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"It's me," Jurvoz said.

"What's up?" I said.

"Have you been thinking about what I said? About the rolls? They've got to be Bronzini's, remember?"

"I thought you were going to pick them up," I said.

"Did I?" Jurvoz asked. "I guess I could do that. As a favor. Otherwise, your sausage sandwiches won't be any good at all."

"Thanks," I said.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

JA stopped by.

"I saw Jurvoz the other night," he said. "Says he's helping you out with your barbeque, sort of like a cohost. Picking up rolls and a bunch of other stuff that you hadn't thought of."

"Like a cohost," I said.

"Jurvoz says it's going to be quite a wingding," JA said.

"He said that? Wingding?"

"Those were his words," JA said. "Sounds like it's going to be quite an affair."
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Do I look like someone who would have a wingding?" I asked LZ.

"No," she said. "You don't."

"I didn't think so," I said. "But apparently I'm to be involved in one."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

John K was on the phone. "Jurvoz called about the big blowout you're having. Just wanted to let you know we'll all be there. The whole gang."

"Great," I said.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I called my brother. "On your way over tomorrow, can you stop at Bronzini's and get a couple of dozen rolls for sausage sandwiches?"

"No problem," he said.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The cookout was in full swing when Jurvoz pulled up. He handed me a white grocery bag.

"SuperFood Giant," I said. "What's this?"

"The rolls you wanted," Jurvoz said. "I didn't have time to get over to Bronzini's, so I stopped at the supermarket. Don't worry, these are just as good, probably better. Bronzini's has been going downhill."

"No problem," I said. I stashed his supermarket rolls in the kitchen and brought out the Bronzini ones that my brother had picked up.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jurvoz was holding court from a lawn chair strategically placed between the grill and the keg. He waved me over.

"These sausage sandwiches are great," he said. "This is my third one. I was just telling these guys here, the key to a sausage sandwich is the roll. You've got to have a fresh roll with the right consistency. It's all in the roll."

"I hadn't heard that," I said. "Thanks for bringing me into the loop."







Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?