<$BlogRSDURL$>

Tuesday, September 21, 2004

LIFE DURING WARTIME


We were tailgating before the Big Monday Night Game. Our hosts were grilling shrimp and steak, along with the usual burgers and dogs. In addition to the full cooler of beer, a guy had set up a little martini bar on a card table, and was mixing away.

"This is a pretty good deal," I said.

"You're not kidding," Buck said. "These people really know how to put on a spread. Who are they again?"

"I'm not exactly sure what the connection is," I said. "Friends of somebody. Probably JA's. He invited us."

"So, did you have any trouble getting out?" Buck asked.

"What do you mean?" I asked.

"MB gave me a bunch of guff," Buck said.

"But you have season tickets," I said. "Why would she be surprised that you are going to the game?"

"I had the business buy the tickets," Buck said. "I told MB that I would probably be giving them away to clients, not going myself. And then she got a little mad because she asked me to run a few errands this afternoon, which I blew off. She didn't understand why I had to hurry to leave six hours before the game."

"We had a little logistics problem," I said. "It's Back to School night and LZ had to scramble for a babysitter, but it was no big deal."

"Funny you should mention that," Buck said. "I forgot to tell you, not only is MB made at me, but so is my girlfriend. It's Back to School night at her kid's school too. First, she's mad at her husband because he's down here at the game, instead of supporting their kid's education. Then she called me to come over since he would be out late. When I told her I was going to the game too, she freaked."

"Things are pretty complicated in your neck of the woods, aren't they?" I asked.

"Same old, same old," said Buck. "I get by as best I can."

"It's getting time to go in," I said. "Let's hit it."

"Should we chip in for this food?" Buck asked.

"Heck no," I said. "We were invited. It would be an insult to offer these guys money. You don't want to impugn their hospitality, do you?

"Not me," Buck said. "I was brought up better than that."









Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?