<$BlogRSDURL$>

Tuesday, November 01, 2005

A LESSER EVIL

MONDAY MORNING

We are waiting for the school bus, the Things and I, and the stick-chewing dog.

“We have to back in and get changed,” T1 says.

“Why?” I say.

“We are supposed to wear red, white and blue today,” she says.

“Oh, yeah,” T2 says.

“Get out,” I say.

“We have to,” T1 says. “Really.”

“And why is that?” I ask

“It’s for Bad Drugs week,” T2 says. We have to wear red, white and blue to show that we are against bad drugs.”

They are wearing green and brown. The yellow school bus rounds the corner.

“Here comes the bus.” I say. “You’ll have to be against bad drugs tomorrow.”

MONDAY EVENING

“We have to bring bears to school tomorrow,” the girls say. “Only bears that can fit in our backpacks.”

“Is this for Bad Drugs week?” I ask.

“Yes,” T1 says.

“Why bears?” I ask.

“Bad drugs are unbearable!”

TUESDAY MORNING

“We have to go back in,” T1 says.

“Your bears are in your backpacks,” I said. “I checked.”

“But we need our ribbons pinned on,” T2 says.

“What ribbons?” I ask.

“We have red ribbons to wear, to show we are against…”

“I know, I know,” I said.

“They’re left on the table,” they shout. “We forgot to pin them on.”

“Here comes the bus,” I say.

LATER THAT SAME DAY

“I almost forgot to tell you,” I say to LZ, “if you have any bad drugs lying around, be sure to hide them. The school will probably have notified the authorities by not that we’re not with the program. We should probably be expecting a search.”

TUESDAY EVENING

The Simpsons are on. A blind man opens the door to a policeman and a dog. He thinks it’s some sort of companion animal, but I can see what’s coming.

“Girls, girls!” I call. “Quick. Look.”

The dog is sniffing the man and noses a baggie from his pocket.

“What is the dog doing?” T1 asks.

“He’s sniffing for drugs,” I said.” “He works for the police; he found bad drugs.”

“What is it?” T2 asks.

“It’s called marijuana,” I say.

“What does it do?” she asks.

“People smoke it, and it makes them act silly,” I say.

The policeman cuffs the blind man and takes him away.

“Where is he taking him?” T1 asks.

“To jail,” I say. “The man is being arrested.”

“Arrested!” Ti exclaims. “Can you be arrested for acting silly?”

“Well,” I explain, “they say it is bad for your health too.”

“But he didn’t even smoke it,” T1 says. “Can you be arrested just for having it in your pocket?”

“Yes,” I say. “You can.”

“That’s not fair,” she says. She stomps out of the room.

WEDNESDAY MORNING

“And what is it today?” I ask.

“Silly socks and slippers,” T2 says.

“Should I ask?” I ask.

“Sock it to drugs and slip away,” she says.

“Is this Bad Drugs week or Bad Jokes week?” I ask.

“Hmph,” T1 snorts.

“I don’t make the rules,” I say. “Don’t snort at me.”

WEDNESDAY EVENING

“Tomorrow we need money, the coins kind,” the girls say.

“I give up,” I say.

“Drugs make no cents!”

“I’ll put the money in an envelope and I’ll write drug money on it,” I say. “And you can take it to school. How’s that?”

LZ glares at me.

“ I better write money for bad drugs, so there’s no mistake,” I say.

THURSDAY MORNING

“I put your drug money in your backpacks,” I say. “You’re all set.”

FRIDAY AFTERNOON.

“Look at the candy we got in school today,” the girls say.

“Why would they give you all this candy?” I ask.

“Life is sweet without drugs!”

“That may be,” I say, “but you’re not eating all that candy. It’ll make you sick and rot your teeth. It’s really not good for you. Not good for you at all.”

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?