<$BlogRSDURL$>

Monday, March 13, 2006

THE END OF THE DARK AGES

"Did you have Centers when you were in school?" T2 asked.

"And what exactly are Centers?" I asked.

"Special places in the room where you can go for Art, Music, Computers and Games, and things," she explained.

"Well," I said, "we didn't call them Centers, but we had most of those things when I was in school, except computers."

"I know you didn't have any computers," T2 said, "because you didn't have technology back then."

"Oh, we had a little technology," I said. "For instance, I took a bus to school instead of riding a horse."

T2 laughed out loud. I could see she'd formed a mental picture of me off to school on horseback.

"And we had televisions, and phones, of course," I said.

"And I know you had lights," T1 interjected. "Because Thomas Edison invented the light bulb."

"That's true," I replied. "I'll never forget that day. We were sitting home, in the dark, and there was a knock at the door. It was Tom Edison himself, with a bag of light bulbs in his hand. 'Here.' he said, 'take these and screw them in.' That way you won't have to sit around in the dark all the time.' So we did."

"Is that true?" T2 asked.

"Absolutely," I said. "That's just the way it happened."

"We better ask Mommy," T1 said to her sister. "She's more seriouser."

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?